The photographer has certainly attracted a sizeable group of curious onlookers in this scene dominated by James Howell's store (right). The draper's original Cardiff premises opened in the Hayes in 1865 employing a mere five assistants. Relocating to St Mary Street in 1867 and the shrewd acquisition of adjoining premises allowed the frontage that we see here, constructed in 1879. Only a year prior to our photograph the store expanded 'inwardly' to Trinity Street. The farmer's son from Pembrokeshire was on course to create Wales' premier department store.